Land for Wildlife

In NSW alone, more than 2000 landholders have signed up for Land for Wildlife, covering an area of 165,000 hectares. “Land for Wildlife” is a voluntary national program that helps landholders make their properties more wildlife‑friendly and connects them to like‑minded people. Registration is free and is not legally binding. It does not affect your property title in any way.

Echidna – Kristian Bell

Your rural property

The reasons for purchasing a rural property are diverse and personal. Whether you want to get back to nature, live more sustainably or create a more productive farm, purchasing a new property is an exciting time.

As a rural landholder, you are uniquely placed to contribute to the conservation of our unique plants and animals. But where do you start? And what’s going to work best on your property?

FREE help for rural landholders

If you are interested in making your property more wildlife-friendly, feel free to contact the Molonglo Conservation Group for help.

We can provide you with a FREE ecological assessment and advice on your property through Land for Wildlife.

We’d especially like to hear from landholders who are:

  • new to rural life
  • new to south-eastern NSW
  • looking to make a farming operation more sustainable and productive

Snow Gum Woodland – Ross McConchie

Why your property matters

Most land in NSW is privately owned, so private landholders like you have a critical role to play in protecting and connecting habitat for wildlife.

You don’t need a huge property to make a difference. Half a hectare (1.2 acres) of native grassland or bush can still provide good habitat, even if it is also used for other productive uses, such as grazing.

How to get your FREE property assessment and report

The first step is to contact us to set up a property visit. You can do this through our website, by email or by phone. You can expect us to ask about:

  • your property’s location (address, lot and DP no.)
  • the area of your property, including any areas of native grassland or remnant woodland
  • your current land use and future plans
  • the types of wildlife habitat on your property
  • common problems like erosion, weeds and feral animals
  • the best way to contact you

Scarlett Robin
Scarlet Robin (Petroica boodang)

Paul Duff,

What happens next

We contact you to set up a property visit at a time that works for you. A typical visit takes about 2 hours and starts with us sitting down with you to discuss an aerial map of the property.

We will also need to walk or drive around the property with you, to identify the main plant species and communities on site, and to discuss your options for enhancing and connecting key habitat.

What you get

Your Land for Wildlife assessment will include:

  • a Land for Wildlife sign for your gate, to show your interest in wildlife conservation
  • a written report on the ecological value of your property and how you can enhance it
  • a list of the main plant species on your property
  • details of threatened species and ecological communities recorded in your local area
  • information, contacts and invitations to events relevant to your conservation goals

Ring tail possum – Helen Cross

We can also help you access incentives and grants for conservation work, especially if your property has high conservation value.

If you want more

Talk to us during your property visit. We can help you with a range of other services including:

  • environmentally sensitive weed control
  • wildlife friendly fencing
  • bush regeneration
  • property planning and mapping
  • bushfire APZ plans and hazard reduction
  • Aboriginal cultural land management advice
  • biodiversity (flora and fauna) assessments
  • pre-purchase rural block inspections

About us

Common Fringe-lily
Common Fringe-lily (Thysanotus tuberosus subsp. tuberosus)

Don Wood

The Molonglo Conservation Group is a registered not-for-profit body that contributes to environmental programs and projects across the southern tablelands of the ACT and NSW.